Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Atsumori Commentary

Ella Thomson
Ms. Peifer
10IB Period 4
May 5, 2009

Short is the way that reads
From the sea of Suma back to my home
This little journey, up to the hill.
And down to the shore again, and up to the hill-
This is my life, and the sum of hateful tasks.
If one should ask me
I too would answer
That on the shore
I live in sadness
Yes if any guessed my name
Then might I too have friends
But now from my deep misery
Even those that were dearest
Are grown estranged. Here must I dwell abandoned
To one thoughts anguish:
That I must dwell here.
(Zeami Motokiyo 26-41)


This play by Zeami Motokiyo is a great example of Japanese Noh Theater. This specific excerpt compares the life of the Reaper to a journey though depression. Motokiyo gives this character a melancholy attitude. This section expresses his solitude, and pessimistic view on life.
The section begins with the lines: “Short is the way that reads From the sea of Suma back to my home This little journey, up to the hill. And down to the shore again, and up to the hill- This is my life, and the sum of hateful tasks.” This quote describes a short distance traveled routinely, which is also a deeper metaphor for the way he feels about the path he took in life. The ups and downs of life act as a theme, for this part of the play.
He goes on to imply that his misery keeps him alone, even if someone were to reach out a hand for help he’s already to deep in sorrow to be saved. This character is lost in depression: “Here must I dwell abandoned To one thoughts anguish: That I must dwell here.” This use of parallelism shows how he how he is unhappy just by the thought of being unhappy.
The context of this excerpt fits into the plot in the play. As an individual work this section portrays a meaningful presentation of poetic Japanese writing.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thoughtful commentary. Make sure you focus on literary devices and author's purpose for the commentary; I'm a little confused as to what the purpose of the passage is. Make sure you write an analysis and not a plot summary.